A.D.H.D. Explained – Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires
What the heck is ADHD anyway?
This disorder seems to be more about public relations than mental health. Despite what you may have heard, ADHD is NOT a disorder characterized by behaviors that annoy my wife. Okay that part is true but you have no doubt heard many of the other myths surrounding this mysterious disorder. Is it over-diagnosed? Are we raising a generation of irresponsible addicts? What CAN you do about this…or will it go away on its own?
1. A.D.H.D. EXPLAINED
Photo by justDONQUE.images
2. ANSWERED INSIDE
- Is ADHD real?
- Child vs. Adult ADHD
- Is medication overprescribed?
- What can you do about your family’s ADHD?
- Treatment options & resources for more info
3. ADHD IS WIDELY MISUNDERSTOOD
SOME PEOPLE EVEN WONDER IF IT REALLY EXISTS
Photo by weesen
IS ADHD A *REAL* DISORDER?
Photo by clickykbd
5. HOW DO WE KNOW?
- “Just about every mainstream medical, psychological, and educational organization in the U.S. long ago concluded that ADD is real, and that children and adults with attention deficit disorder benefit from appropriate ADHD treatment.” -From http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/1017.html
- There is no debate or controversy.
Photo by Halans
6. Why would a reasonable person doubt the existence of such a well-documented disorder?
7. BECAUSE OF THE NATURE OF ADHD
- It is a DISABILITY
- It is INVISIBLE
- It is characterized by CONSISTENT INCONSISTENCY
Photo by Rob Briscoe
8. People are uncomfortable talking about disabilities
Photo by indrarado
9. You can’t SEE the ADHD so it is easy to forget and easy to deny it’s existence
Photo by i k o
10. ADHD IS CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT
- Every sufferer has different strengths and weaknesses
- Severity of symptoms changes from day to day and even hour to hour
- ADHD Sufferers ARE CAPABLE of great deeds and this fools the observer
Photo by mikeedesign
11. ADHD Symptoms are ANNOYING
Photo by Kumweni
12. So it is easy to be angry at the victim
Photo by !anaughty!
13. DO CHILDREN OUTGROW ADHD?
WHAT ABOUT ADULTS?
Photo by nathanmac87
14. BUT –
ADHD IS A LIFELONG DISORDER…
Photo by boltron-
DOES SOMETIMES DIMINISH WITH AGE.
Photo by Orangeadnan
WHAT’S THE DEAL?
Photo by Gatis Gribusts
DRIVES ALL FORMS OF MASS MEDIA
Photo by Joaquin Villaverde Photography
18. WHAT THEY SAY YOU SHOULD FEAR
- Medication is addictive and ruins lives
- Medications are dangerous to use on children
- No one knows the long term effects of these drugs
- The medications have not been studied enough to know
- Drugs don’t fix or cure ADHD
- Other treatments are just as effective but THEY don’t want you to know about them
Photo by stuant63
19. UNTREATED ADHD
I SAY YOU SHOULD FEAR
Photo by virginsuicide photography
20. Myth: ADHD Medication is addictive
Photo by MattysFlicks
21. FACT At the doses prescribed for ADHD these medications are not addictive.
Photo by that guy named Rob
22. Myth: ADHD medications are not known to be safe on children.
Photo by Neal.
23. Fact: Doctors have access to over 40 years of research and can prescribe safely
Photo by Alex E. Proimos
24. Myth: Long-term effects of these drugs are unknown
Photo by changsterdam
25. Fact: Long-term studies have shown no evidence of negative long-term effects.
Photo by Jeremy Brooks
26. Myth: ADHD Medications have not been studied enough to justify their use.
Photo by Great Beyond
27. Fact: Due to all the ‘attention’ ADHD medications have been studied EXTENSIVELY.
Photo by Kaptain Kobold
28. Myth: Meds don’t cure ADHD so we shouldn’t use them.
Photo by JeepersMedia
29. FACT: EYEGLASSES
DON’T CURE VISION PROBLEMS BUT WE STILL USE THEM!
Photo by jeffreyw
30. Myth: Other treatments work just as well but THEY don’t want you to know.
Photo by HckySo
31. Fact: All research indicates that medication is the ONLY dramatic, life-changing, highly-effective treatment.
Photo by radarxlove
32. MORE FACTS
- Diet can make symptoms worse, but make almost no positive impact.
- No nutritional supplements have been shown to have a significant positive impact on symptoms.
- Sleep and excercise have a small impact for ADHD sufferers on AND off medication.
33. 80% OF ADULTS
BENEFIT FROM THEIR ADHD MEDICATION
34. ALL MEDICATIONS
HAVE SIDE EFFECTS – NOT JUST ADHD MEDS
35. UNTREATED ADHD
HAS SIDE EFFECTS – AND THEY SUCK
36. I am not PRO-MEDICATION I am PRO-TREATMENT
37. A GOOD TREATMENT PLAN INCLUDES
- Healthy sleep, diet and exercise
- Talk therapy & education on ADHD
- Medical treatment via an experienced doctor with training in ADHD
- Coaching and other assistance to manage symptoms
38. If you had a patient with a vision problem, you would prescribe eyeglasses. You would not tell them to SQUINT HARDER, TAKE VITAMINS, EAT BETTER.
39. Slide 39
40. FEED YOUR BRAIN
- Follow on Twitter and Periscope @edukfun
- Email: email@example.com
- Thank you for taking the time
41. PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
Photo by Anne Worner